K&T's 'Rockin' Barbecue Meatloaf

A couple months ago in the midst of my move I received an email from my cousin Kara about this meatloaf she had made this was her note:
"So my BCE (best cousin ever) I made award winning meat loaf tonight. Was so rocking exciting about I brought samples to Cathi, my Mom, James, Kim and Hunter. First... Hunter ate it... An 11 year old liked meat loaf... Back in the day you couldn't get us to eat much of anything. It's heavenly!"
 I was totally intrigued at that point to actually have taken the time to share it with that many people when her life is so busy..It must be delicious!
Then came the disclosure...
"Well, no recipe..."
The good news is she explained to me her process and with some trial I think between the two of us (we do make a good team) we have come up with a fabulous recipe!   I was so excited  for this that  is was the first real meal I cooked in my new kitchen.  She was right it was incredible!!  Then the bad news....
hubby threw away my recipe notes.
Disappointment set in, but also gave me the opportunity to try it again to see if it truly was as good as I remembered just not the fact that the family had been eating total processed foods during the move.
No surprises...
It was just as delicious as I remembered, so thankfully I had the recipe correct in my head. Most definitely a keeper!!  Picture does not do it justice!  


K&T's 'Rockin' Barbecue Meatloaf
(A Kara & Tiff Creation)

1 medium onion diced
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1 Tablespoon butter
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 egg
2 pieces of bread toasted (and made into crumbs)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup barbecue sauce plus more for the topping.*

Melt butter over medium heat and saute the onions and garlic until they tender and caramelized a bit. Remove from heat.  Place in a large bowl.  Mix in the remaining ingredients.  Form in to a loaf.  Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes then remove and drain off the fat.  Brush it with additional barbecue sauce and return to the oven.  Bake for an addition 15-20 minutes or until meat is cooked through.

The first time I made this I used muffin tins for individual sized portions.  Cook those for about 30-40 minutes.  Draining the fat after the first 20 minutes.

*Kara recommends Sweet Baby Rays Barbecue Sauce, used gluten free bread and added diced red pepper to her onion mixture.

She's right it is heavenly!  Thanks Kara.
Enjoy!

Comments