Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf

For some reason, I had forgotten about this recipe and have not made it in quite a while.  It is a good twist on meatloaf in general.  Both my husband and kids love it.  It takes a little bit of time in the initial prep work, but well worth the  effort.

Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used 1 1/4 lbs this time)
1 egg
1/2 cup Italian or plain breadcrumbs
1 jar pasta sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup diced onion
1 Tbs. Parsley (optional)
Parmesan Cheese

In a large bowl combine ground beef, 1/3 cup pasta sauce, egg and bread crumbs.  Line a 13x9 casserole dish with plastic wrap.  Shape the beef mixture into a rectangle covering the bottom of the dish.

Cover with 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese,
sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley(if desired)
Leave at 3/4 inch border around the edges.

Roll starting at long end jelly roll style.  Use your plastic wrap to help you roll. Remove plastic as you roll it up.

Press all ends together.

Bake 350 degrees uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and drain as much grease off as you can.  Pour remaining pasta sauce over meatloaf and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.  Bake additional 15 minutes until sauce is hot and cheese is melted. 
Some cheese had leaked out of the side after the 45 minutes cooking time.  After pouring off the grease I scooped it up and put it on top of the meatloaf before I poured the sauce on.  I am wondering if this was made it advance and put in the fridge for awhile if that would help the cheese leakage situation.  I don't know but I think I will try that next time.  *It works well to roll it up, wrap tightly in the plastic wrap and place in the fridge for atleast 30 minutes.
I served it with a steamed veggie, pasta mixture with a little bit of butter and Parmesan cheese mixed in. 

This recipe is linked to the Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge.

Comments

  1. It's like a giant meat pizza!! Very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really yummy. And you provided great step by step pictures. I am going to try it tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the post! I found your recipe from Org Junkie and I made this Monday night. It was a big hit, I can't wait to try more of your recipes! Thanks Again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I assume you add onions when you mix the beef with everything. When would you put in the optional parsley? Thanks, making it tonight-we'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Misti,
    You sprinkle the parsley on top of the cheese before you roll it up. Thanks. Please let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had to come back and comment on this after eating it and YUMMY!!! I served it on top of some spaghetti noodles and some steamed asparagus on the side. And everyone cleaned their plate! I had two servings left so DH and I are taking it for lunch tomorrow. Thank you so much for posting this recipe it is now a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son saw this photo as I was reading your blog. He has insisted that I try it. Looking forward to making it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffanee ~

    This recipe looks like a family winner and I have put it in my "to-try" file. Thanks for sharing on MPM at Organized Junkie. I have enjoyed participating and visiting others who do.

    Blessings around your meal table this week ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this today after seeing your post. I added some crumbled bacon to the meat mixture and after rolling it left it in the plastic in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Had no cheese leakage and was a huge hit! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was really good!Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks yummy! I think my husband would like it. (Found you through Orgjunkie.com's link today.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow!! this sounds like a great way to make meatloaf...saw this on laura's blog (orgjunkie), gonna have to try it!! :) thnx!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made this recipe a few times now and we love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my!!! This is serious YUM! My mouth is watering!!! I will be putting this on my menu for next week. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!