Grandma's Rolls

Sorry to post bread recipes back to back. I had to make these last minute for a church function. This recipe was given to me by my good friend Michelle. So even though it is not actually my grandma's recipe it reminds me so much of hers. There is a lot of steps, but well worth the effort! Grandma's Rolls
In a saucepan, combine:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
Bring to a boil and let cool. (important to let cool)

In a small bowl combine
1 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbs yeast
2 tsp sugar
Set aside and let dissolve.

Add:
2 1/2 tsp. salt
3 beaten eggs
8-10 cups flour

When the milk mixture has cooled to lukewarm (or cooler), pour into mixer. Add 4 cups flour, the yeast mixture(I let this dissolve right in my mixing bowl), salt and beaten eggs. Beat until smooth. Add flour a little at a time while mixing until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl but is not stiff. (It usually takes 9-10 cups for me).

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray, and let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled in size. Punch down, cover and let rise again until doubled in size.

After dough has risen a second time, divide in half. Each half will make a cookie sheet. Form your rolls and place on a greased cookie sheet a little ways apart. Let rise 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
I always butter the tops of my rolls right after they come out of the oven.

Makes approx. 40 rolls depending on the size of your rolls.
I usually let my dough raise in a sunny window. When there is not any sun which regularly happens in our neck of the woods, I preheat my oven on the lowest temperature possible (mine is 170 degrees) for just a few minutes (Literally like no more than 5 minutes). Then I turn it off and let my dough raise in the oven.

Comments

  1. I made these, but mine weren't as pretty as yours! Mine were more like Grandma's Misshaped Lumps!! ;) Even though they didn't look good, they still tasted great, and the kids have been eating them as snacks! I shared the recipe on my food blog and linked back to you. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering what kind of flour you use? All Purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just use regular all purpose white flour. Thanks so much for your comment!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!