Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

This is one of my favorite dishes. It is easy and tastes great.  I have to admit it is the first recipe I go to when I need to take dinner in to someone.  It also freezes well.  I don't know if my family was just really hungry this time, but we ate it all for dinner. 
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole 
16 oz. frozen hashbrowns (1/2 of a normal sized bag.)
3-4 chicken breasts cooked and diced
1/2 lb ham
1 -8 oz. cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup milk
Place hashbrowns on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish.
Layer chicken and then ham over hashbrowns.

Sprinkle with 1 cup of the shredded swiss cheese.  Combine soup, cream cheese, milk and pepper.  *I found it easiest to melt the cream cheese a little in the microwave then mix everything together.   Now for the tricky part.  Drop the soup mixture on top and spread.  I find it best to treat it like you are frosting a cake. 

Sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese.  If you are freezing it, wrap it up at this point and put in the freezer.
I like to prepare it ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge unbaked. (I like to leave it approximately 24 hours).  It allows the flavors to mix a little bit better. 
Bake at 350 degrees covered for 50 minutes. Remove cover and bake 10 more minutes, until bubbly.
*I have mixed it all together and put it in the crockpot before.  It turns out all right.  I prefer the casserole dish baking method better. 
*You can use ham lunch meat.  It is really good with leftover ham.

This recipe is linked to Temp My Tummy Tuesdays.
blog signature 2a

10 comments:

  1. Greetings from Cape Town.
    Hmmmm. This looks really yummy!
    Thanks for sharing.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love new casserole dishes. This one sounds wonderful. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm definitely bookmarking this one!

    I hope you'll stop by and enter my blogiversary giveaway. I'm giving away an apron from Happy Find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently tried Crockpot Chicken Cordon Bleu with chicken, stove top, ham, and swiss. It was good, but not exactly what I was going for. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you usually bake it before you freeze this or freeze it unbaked?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby: I freeze this dish before I bake it. Then I usually let it unthaw in the fridge for about 24 hours before cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tiffanee! I just pulled this out of the oven and oh my heck! It smells heavenly. I'm not sure if I can let it sit for 24 hours =o) Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tiffanee! I am re-reading your post and saw you had mentioned when to stop and freeze! Sorry I skipped that part! We loved this and I am planning to post it on my blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails