Skillet Ham & Cheese Pasta

Last night I needed something quick for dinner because of a night track meet.  I had found this recipe on the back of a pasta box awhile ago and made a few changes to it.  With the leftover ham from Easter this was the perfect choice.  It was quick, easy and got great reviews from the clan.  My picky eater had 3 helpings.
Skillet Ham & Cheese Pasta
1- 16 oz. box pasta
5 Tablespoons butter, divided
3 Tablespoons bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups ham, cubed
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 1 Tablespoon butter.  Add bread crumbs; cook until they are lightly browned.  Remove from skillet.
I used unseasoned  Panko bread crumbs.  I think Parmesan flavored would have been good. 
I just love the Panko bread crumbs.
In the same skillet over medium heat, melt remaining butter (4 Tbsp).  Stir in flour, salt, pepper and cook, stirring for about 1 minute. Add milk all at once.  Cook stirring constantly until mixture boils. 
Cook 2 minutes more (mixture should start to thicken). Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and ham.
Add hot drained pasta to skillet and toss to coat. 
Top with remaining cheese (1/2 cup) and buttered crumbs. 
Salt & pepper to taste.
Don't forget to enter my Mom's Birthday Giveaway here!

~Tiffanee

Comments

  1. I like the sound of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I needed an idea to use up the last of the ham. Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little pasta eating princess' would love this!! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT!!! dish to make with all the leftover ham from easter. I also have lots of turkey. I posted the recipe that went with the pork skewers. I hope you enjoy.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great!

    I always struggle with ham leftovers. There are only so many ham sanwiches or ham and eggs one can eat.

    I will have to remember this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!