General Tso's Chicken

This was a quick, easy and delicious meal!!  It is supposed to be a lower calorie version.  I left out the pepper flakes so that my kids would eat it.  They loved it!!  You can add more vegetables or leave them out.  The only thing I will do different next time is I need to double the recipe, they ate it all and I think leftovers would be tasty.  I served it with steamed broccoli on the side.
General Tso's Chicken
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
3 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch (3 Tablespoons 1 1/2 teaspoons)
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoon oil
1/2 cup minced onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
*1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
*1/2 cup unsalted cashew pieces
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 2 inch pieces.
*3 medium mushrooms, sliced
*2 stalks of celery, sliced
Cooked rice (I cooked 3 cups.)
*optional ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; Set aside.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.  Add onions, garlic and pepper (if desired) and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned.  If desired stir in the mushrooms and celery. 
Add sauce and simmer until the sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through. About 5 minutes.  If desired stir in cashew pieces. 
Serve chicken and sauce over rice. 

YUM!!

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious!!! I always discover fabulous-sounding recipes here at your blog.

    thanks so much,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! My whole family loves ethnic foods and I am sure they will all go for this. I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the type of chicken my son and the rest of the family would eat gladly. I would leave out the hot pepper flakes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite thing to order from the Chinese menu. I would love to give it a try at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea, I'm a big fan of doubling a recipe, I love leftovers for lunch! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sauce!! I'm going to mke in tonight with fake chicken :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  8. yah, I probably shouldn't be looking @ your blog when I'm hungry....now i'm starving!! And this chicken dish looks just wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!