Grandma's White Bread

As most of you know I have been working on converting my family to wheat bread for awhile and they are now getting used to it, but when the kids begged me for homemade white bread I caved!  Can you say pure comfort food!! This recipe has been in the family for generations.  It brings back great memories of my grandma and I honestly had forgotten how good this bread is. It is easy to make and oh so DELICIOUS!! A HUGE thanks to my Aunt Linda for keeping the recipe going and for sharing it with me!!
Grandma's White Bread
Makes 4 loaves 
1 cups milk
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons butter
3 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast
12 cups flour
Put the milk, sugar, butter and salt in a medium saucepan.  Heat over medium high heat stirring constantly just until the mixture comes to a boil.  Remove from heat and allow it to cool down. 
(This is an important step. Sometimes I put it in the fridge for little while.)  Put the warm water in mixing bowl, add the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Stir and allow to yeast to bubble a bit (about five minutes) Stir in the milk mixture. Add half the flour and mix until smooth.  Keep adding flour until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Raise in a warm place until doubled.  Punch down and let it rest for 15 minutes.  Shape into loaves and place into greased bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding when you tap the top.  Remove from oven and lightly butter the tops of each loaf. 
Yum! My family ate one loaf straight out of the oven!!
You can use the dough to make several other things.  I will be sharing some of my ideas a bit later!
We were in Bread Heaven!

Comments

  1. The bread looks great Tiffanee! Since this makes quite a few loaves, have you ever tried freezing the dough, then thawing, rising and baking? I will try to break the recipe down further and give it a try, I always love Grandma's recipes:@)
    PS-I just tried a very easy wheat bread, it's on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, there is just something about homemade bread! This looks gorgeous, I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family recipes are the best! I shared a recipe from my 92-year-old grandma today ... there's just something awesome about those tried and true recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I could eat one loaf right out of the oven by myself! What a lovely bread~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Gramma made the best things EVER!!! Can't wait to make this bread. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bread looks delicious! It is so neat to make recipes that have been in the family for years!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truth be told? My mom never let me eat white bread. Oooooh how I wished for Wonder!!! This looks awesome. With like mayo and balogna? That was my dream lunch!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY I so love this, it looks so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! I have a quick question, as I am making it right now. I am not quite sure when to add the milk/butter/sugar/salt mixture. Perhaps I am just not reading the recipe correctly, but a little help would be great! Can't wait to bite into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry. I just saw this comment. After your yeast has bubbled stir in the milk/sugar/butter/salt mixture.

      Delete
  10. After placing the loaves into the greased bread pans, does the dough need to rise again before baking? Also, do you bake all 6 loaves at once or maybe just 3 at a time? I can not wait to make this bread. Tired of buying store bought bread for the family. Fingers crossed, my bread will look as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After placing the dough in the pans you do not need to let it raise again. You can cook them all at once or a couple at a time depending on the size of your oven. Thanks!! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!