Veggie Lasagna

It turned out that I was wrong. It does happen quite often.   Both my husband and son ate the veggie lasagna last night.  They both commented that it was pretty good.  They both ate a separate times and both said that it is good but not as good as regular lasagna.  My husband added that the broccoli had too strong of a taste.  So maybe it was just me or possibly it got better with age. My point is; everyone has different tastes.  I am just relieved that all my work was not for nothing.

Veggie Lasagna
10-12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained (I only used 9)

Veggies:
1 small onion diced
4 Tbs. olive oil
1 bunch spinach, cleaned and torn to dersired size.
1 medium zucchini, sliced
2 cup broccoli, chopped
2 cups carrots, thinly sliced.

Saute onions in oil until transparent. Add remaining vegetables and saute until slightly tender (about 8 minutes). NOTE: You can use almost any vegetables in this dish; choose those that are your family's favorites.

Filling:
2 lbs cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, or a mixture of both.
1 tsp parsley
1 egg beaten
1 lb. mozzzarella cheese, shredded.

Combine all ingredients until thoroughly blended.

Sauce:
5 Tbs. butter
5 Tbs. flour
pepper
4 cups milk
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt to taste

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, blend well, and cook until light golden.  Slowly add milk, stirring well, and simmer until thick.  Add parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Now to put it all together:
Coat the bottom of a large casserole dish with a little bit of the sauce (to prevent them from sticking to the pan).  Place a layer of noodles, a layer of veggies, 1/2 of the cheese filling, and a third of the sauce. Repeat layers until all ingredients are gone, finishing with sauce over the top.  Top with additional cheese. Bake at 350 degrees foe 30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.

* I saw a frozen veggie lasagna at the store and it had breadcrumbs on the top so I added them to the top of the lasagna.

If anyone knows what I did wrong or how I can make this better PLEASE share.
Thanks!!

Comments