California Chowder

This is one of my all time favorite comfort foods.  Only the calories keep me from making it more often.  It does take a little bit of time, but well worth it.  This recipe makes a big batch, but the leftovers are ohhh so good!!

California Chowder
1 med onion, diced
1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
5 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups broccoli, chopped
5 cups carrots
3 cups cauliflower (optional)
Place veggies in a large stock pot and add enough water to cover the veggies.  Cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
In a separate pan:
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
2 cans evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp salt.
Melt butter and mix in flour until smooth.  Add milk and salt. Cook until thick and bubbly. Pour mixture into veggie and water. Stir until smooth.
Add:
1 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 (12 oz.) Velveeta Cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Stir until smooth. Serve with French bread and or crackers.

*I substituted 3 cups milk for the evaporated milk this time.  It turned out just fine.
I also used 2 cups carrots and 3 cups cauliflower, because my hubby doesn't like cooked carrots.  So I try to get a few in anyway, just not overdue it for him.

Comments

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious! My lovey is a big fan of vegetables plus cheese in soup. I think I may make this for her some time soon. When I do, I'll let you know how it went.

    Noah
    Ugly Soup: Adventures in At Hand Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try all kinds of veggie soups. This one sounds even better for the cheese. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I love your recipes and wanted to thank you for commenting on my blog. You are the first person that I don't know that made a comment so I really got excited to receive it. Ill check back on your blog, lots of my kind of info on here. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!