Sassy Barbecue Sauce

Lately we have been loving pulled pork so hubby and I  have been working on perfecting a few home made barbecue sauce recipes. This is one is  hubby's creation.  In fact he kicked me out of the kitchen that is until he needed a test taster.  He took this version to a guy party and they ate it over wings.  Since then several of the wives have asked me for it, so I got him to write it down.  According to the men it was "awesome"!  It has great flavor. 

Sassy Barbecue Sauce
adapted from Food.com
1 1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup mustard
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons molasses
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery flakes
Dash of salt and pepper (I use sea salt and fresh ground pepper)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
In a sauce pan mix ingredients until smooth over medium/low heat for 5-6 minutes.  Turn heat down to low and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes.  Use immediately or store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. 
Hubby's notes: For the average person not big into spicy, cut out the red pepper flakes or cut back on them and the cayenne pepper.
For the HEAT enthusiasts, try fresh serranos, habeneros or jalapenos. Chop and cook them from just a few minutes in a little olive oil before adding them to the sauce.
I will share my version a little later. 



Comments

  1. I love barbeque sauce. This looks like a great recipe for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good. Also it looks easy too. Great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great Tiffanee! It's fun to try different recipes for B-B-Q sauce, almost time to fire up the grill:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I am a big fan of pulled pork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish my husband would kick me out of the kitchen and cook for me! This BBQ sauce sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just put this one in my file. Looks like a great BBQ sauce recipe that I will enjoy using - and the hotter the better for my husband. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffanee, this sounds wonderful!!! I love pulled pork but I can't get my kids to eat it for anything. Crud. I'll keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo...i truly enjoy making my own sauces. That way, i know what's going into them. I like my sauces spicy so i would probably be adding all sorts of chillies and peppers i can find ...heheh
    -abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great sauce! I love people who make their own sauces!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just added this to the menu next month! (yes, strange that I plan meals that far ahead). It sounds like a great sauce that I can make plenty of and put in the freezer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!