Sweet & Sour Meatloaf

My family loves meatloaf, but I needed a bit of a change.  A combination of sweet and sour sauce and meat.  A perfect change.  It was delicious!! The sauce is AMAZING!! Sorry this is the only picture I took.  We got too involved in eating it that it was all gone before I thought about taking more pictures.
Sweet & Sour Meatloaf
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
3/4 cup uncooked oats
1/2 cup minced onion
1  teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
1 (15 oz.) can of tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix hamburger, oats, onion, salt, pepper, egg and 1/2 can of the tomato sauce together.  Place in a loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes. 
Meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium heat combine the remaining tomato sauce, the sugars, vinegar and mustard.  Bring mixture to a boil and remove from heat.
After meatloaf has cooked for 45 minutes remove from oven and drain the grease.  Pour sauce over top of the meatloaf and return to the oven for 25 more minutes.   Let sit for about 5 minutes before slicing.
*You can replace the oats with breadcrumbs or corn flakes.  You could also shape it into a loaf and cook in a 9x13 casserole dish. Then the sauce could cover the sides a bit better.
Enjoy!




Comments

  1. Yum, meatloaf is one of my family's absolute faves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! LOVE meatloaf in any way. I've done that with pictures too, thought more about eating than I did photographing! (which is really the way it SHOULD be!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great, I love the topping:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tiffanee and thank you for your visit and sweet comment! Meatloaf is always a treat at our house. Yours sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that I am not the only one! So many times, I am so anxious to eat a dish that I don't get more than a couple of pictures. Loving food is just so difficult;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love meatloaf. This is a new twist that sounds delicious! I bet my kids will gobble it up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!