Chicken Rice Casserole


Chicken Rice Casserole
2 cups cooked chicken diced
1 cup celery
1 package long grain and wild rice mix (cooked) or 1 cup plain cooked rice
1 can of mushrooms
1 Tbs. chopped onion
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can water chestnuts, diced

Mix together all the above ingredients.  Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish.

Topping:
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Mix together and sprinkle on top of casserole.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

*If using plain rice add 1/2 tsp. salt.
* One time I made this and did not have any corn flakes.  So I substituted crushed Cheese Nibs.  My family really liked it.  So now I use hald corn flakes and half Cheese Nibs for the topping.  Unfortunately I was out of corn flakes this go around and used crushed Corn Chex instead.  No one seemed to mind.
Also I was out of almonds. I missed them. They really add to the flavor. 
I obviously did not check my pantry items before making my grocery list. My bad!!

Comments