Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie

This recipe is so good and easy to make.  Every time I make it I am reminded of my Grandma.  Probably because it is delicious and a comfort food.  I have to admit I did not make my own pie crusts.  My excuse is I found one in the freezer that needed to be used.  While I was rolling it out I wondered what it would taste like with a real home made crust.  So next time I make this it will be with a home made crust.  I think I can, I think I can...and I need to remember to pick up some shortening while at the grocery store. 
Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1  1/2 cups water
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules or 2 cubes.
1 cup chicken, cooked and diced
2 cups cooked diced vegetables (I use potatoes, carrots and peas.  You can also use frozen mixed veggies)
2 pie crusts

Cook vegetables until tender.  Set aside.  In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended.  Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly and boil for 2 minutes.  (It should be like gravy). Remove from heat. Stir in chicken and vegetables. Put bottom crust into pie pan.  Pour filling into crust. Place 2nd crust over filling.  Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top of the crust. 
Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.  You may want to shield the edges after the first 15 minutes to avoid over browning.
As you can see I either did not vent my crust enough the filling bubbled out a bit.  Or it could have been the crust had been in the freezer way too long.  Another evidence that I should of made my own crust.  Oh well.  It is totally gone.  I need to figure out a way to make it so that I have leftovers.

Comments

  1. I love make pot pies after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey, but the rest of the year I like making pot pies with chicken. I always make 2 chickens and freeze the leftovers for pot pies or soups. Your crust looks wonderful.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pot pies are scrumptious. Yours looks great to me. I was thinking about making it an orange filled pie, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin and butternut squash. I wonder what that would be like. Never had it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh I'm so excited Rick loves pot pie and I've never found one I really wanted to try. Ok making this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made tons of these and froze them. BUT your looks so much better than mine....mine was kind of dry~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you freeze the pie after baking? When you remove it from the freezer do you bake it frozen or thaw first? How long do you bake it after freezing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried freezing it after baking it, but that makes sense. The ones you buy in the store have been cooked and frozen. I usually freeze it before cooking it and then just let in unthaw in the the fridge for 24 hour and cook it the normal time. Honestly it hardly ever makes it to the freezer..this is a true go to comfort food. Hope this helps and please feel free to ask!! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  6. I feel as though I should stop over here 5+ years later and say thanks so much for this recipe!! I found this years ago and have frequently made it as well as passed it onto friends. It's a true favorite in my household and is the definition of pure comfort food! Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much you made my day! This is truly one of my very favorite recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!