Grandma's Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

Every since a friend of mine announced that her family has a tradition of home made cinnamon rolls for General Conference my children have been bugging me to also make it a tradition of ours.  This time I decided I would oblige.  I used to make cinnamon rolls a few times a year and then I had an event in my life that in my mind I somehow connected to the making of cinnamon rolls, so I did not make them again for many, many years (like 10).  Pathetic and crazy.  Remind me to share the story some time.......It does end up with a happy ending.  Back to the main idea.  I wanted cinnamon rolls that I could make the night before and then cook in the morning.  In my search I came upon a recipe that had you leave them to raise on the counter overnight.  I must admit I was a little skeptical, but then I read who's recipe it was...MY GRANDMA'S! No longer skeptical I went to work and they turned out delicious. 
Grandma's Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
Place in a saucepan.  On medium heat melt butter and bring to a slight boil. Stir constantly.  Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
1 Tablespoon yeast
2 cups warm water
Dissolve the yeast in the water.  Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of sugar in the mixture.  Allow it to proof (bubble a bit)
Add to the yeast mixture:
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon salt
the milk mixture
5 cups flour
Mix for 5 minutes.
Then add 4-5 cups more flour (just enough to make the dough come clean off the sides of the bowl.)
Then mix for 10 minutes on high.  *Make sure your mixer does not walk off the counter.  I did not understand this until actually doing it.  Plan on staying right next to your mixer for the 10 minutes.  It does tend to move around.  I actually mixed mine on a 5 or half the speed.  I was a little nervous to turn it all the way up for that long of time.
NOTE: The following are the original  instructions. 
Start rolls around 4 PM (I started around 7 PM) and then every hour let the mixer mix for about 2-3 minutes.  When ready for bed split the dough in half and roll out about 1/2 inch thick into two large rectangles. 
FILLING: melted butter, cinnamon (lots), white and brown sugar.  (the amount depends on how gooey and rich you want them )  I used 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar and about 2 teaspoons cinnamon. 
Rolll up.  Now this is the really cool trick that my Grandma taught me.  Get out some waxed dental floss.  Cut off a long piece. Wrap it around your roll:
cross it
and pull it through the dough.
and voila...and easy cut!
 You want your rolls about 1 inch thick. 
Place on cookie sheet 3 across and 4 down, with room to spare between them.
Cover them lightly with sprayed (greased) plastic wrap. 
Let rise all night on the counter.
(I had trouble with getting the measurement right at first so I did not end up with 24 rolls)
Bake in the AM at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Frost while they are warm with a mixture of:
melted butter, powdered sugar, a bit of milk and vanilla.
This pan looked good.  They other one did not, but still tasted great!
I wish I would of used more filling mixture.  I felt these were lacking a little bit. 
My husband said they were PERFECT! (How sweet was that!!) He is hoping I will make them more often than once ever 10 years! HA HA!!

 ~Tiffanee

Comments

  1. Oh, yum! Wish I had one right now! They look delicious! Have to hear the rest of the story....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I ever mentioned that you are the best! Your blog has saved dinner many nights lately. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind (HA!HA!)The article wasn't that great.The reporter left out half of what I said, and tweaked it so much I sounded like a dork. Oh, well! I had my nano second of glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I love the way you used string to cut the rolls. That is a wonderful tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I was one of the many that was waiting for these beauties to come out of the oven LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!! They really do look so great and I want one of those cinnamon rolls now! Sorry I haven't been by in a while. The move and unpacking have gotten the best of me. Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look flipping unbelievable! Oh MY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look terrific! Mine never turn out so "spirally" ... I probably need to roll the dough thinner.

    I agree about using dental floss to slice the rolls without flattening them. Just don't use mint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my these certainly look scrumptious! Congrats for being one of the featured recipes at Our Krazy Kitchen for April. Hope you'll join us as a guest host - just leave a comment to let us know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been looking for a delicious simply recipe to make homemade cinnamon rolls. I have never made them before. I judged the recipes by the pictures. Your picture of the cinnamon rolls definitely caught my eye. I have one question before I start. Do you really end up using 9-10 cups of flour? Seemed like a lot....just want to make sure. Thanks, Reena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reenabell,
    It does take 9-10 cups flour but it makes two cookie sheets full of cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yumm! I definitely want to make these!!!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The other pan looks pretty killer too .....

    Thanks for the tutorial! I have to try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I wish I had seen this recipe last night! We are snowed in here, and it would be so nice to have these scenting the house as the kids wake up and find out that school is closed. I've clipped the recipe and will try it on our next day off. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made these and can't wait to see how they turn out in the morning. Yeah!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Those look great. I want to make those.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Question: do you leave the cinnamon rolls out all night long? Or put them in the fridge and then cook them in the am?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Question: Do you leave the cinnamon rolls out on the counter all night long, or put them in the fridge then take them out and bake in the am? They look DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha, I was searching on pinterest for "overnight cinnamon rolls" and found someone had pinned your recipe, and I cracked up that you mentioned it's for a conference tradition...precisely why I was looking for a recipe! Though I am not awake enough in the mornings to make them from scratch, but I just can't make myself buy the kind the the tube again, so I'm going to try these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!