Undrunken Apples

I have my favorite barbecue restaurant and I love their cinnamon sugar apples or drunken apples as they call it.  I was craving them the other day so decided to try out making my own.  I researched some recipe and found that interestingly they were made with a little bit of alcohol..hence the name, even though all the alcohol is gone in the cooking process.  Pretty clever....but since I did not have any alcohol in the house I substituted my latest guilty pleasure instead.  It turned out amazing!! They whole house smelled incredible and the kids ate every bit of them.  Definitely worth the time to peel and cut the apples.  This made a great side dish to go with chicken potpie.

Undrunken Apples
adapted from food.com
Makes 6-8 servings

12 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices.
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup Diet Mountain Dew (or regular Mountain Dew or lemon lime soda)

Mix apples with the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
Mix in the soda
Heat over medium heat in a large pot until apple mixture is juicy and the juice comes to a boil.  Boil for 20 minutes stirring often.  Remove from heat and....
ENJOY!!

Comments