Crusty French Bread

Well, it appears to be a bread week. This time I had another purpose for making it. The bread was an object lesson and handout for the Young Women, whom I have the privilege of teaching this week. It is very fitting because I actually received this recipe from a Young Women's activity. So the credit goes to my friend Elizabeth who taught me how to make this great french bread.
FRENCH BREAD
2 cups water
1 Tbs. Yeast
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Tbs Sugar
2 tsp. salt
5- 5 1/2 cups flour


1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Allow yeast to proof (about 10 minutes).
2. Add salt, oil and 3 cups flour; beat for 2 minutes.
3. Slowly add 2 to 2 1/2 cups more flour just until you get a stiff dough.
4. Knead until smooth and elastic.
5. Put a greased piece of plastic wrap over the top of your mixer, the best you can.
6. Every ten minutes; take plastic wrap off and mix the dough for 1 minute. Recoverwith wrap.
Do this for 1 hour.
7. Divide dough in half (or for how many loaves you want).
8. Shape dough into long slender loaves. Place on greased cookie sheet. Cut diagonal gashes on the top of each loaf (I use scissors.)
9. Cover and let rise until doubled.
11. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. Take out and brush with beaten egg white and return to oven for 10 more minutes until golden brown.
You can skip the egg white and instead spray or sprinkle water on the loaves during baking. This makes a crunchy crust.
I coat the tops with butter after I take them out of the oven.

I doubled the recipe this time and it yielded 18 small loaves. 2 were odd shaped so we ate them right out of the oven. So here is a picture of my hard work. Hope the girls like them!

Comments

  1. I am a bit confused about the flour. The ingredient list says you need 5-1/2 cups, but the directions only tell you what to do with three of the cups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start with the 3 cups and then slowly add the other 2-2 1/2 cups of flour until you get s stiff dough. Hope this helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!