Chicken in a Potato Basket

This is a little bit different twist to a potpie.  It is a good twist and you can changed it up to fit your tastes.  It is a dish with options.
Chicken in a Potato Basket
4-1/2 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns, thawed
6 Tablespoons melted butter
Filling:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
1/2 cup peas
3/4 cup diced carrots
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl combine the potatoes and butter together.  Press into a lightly greased pie pan, casserole dish or custard cups.
In a saucepan, saute the onion in butter.  Add the flour, bouillon, Worcstershire sauce and basil.  Stir in the milk.  Bring to a boil and cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, peas and carrots.  If  desired add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into the prepared crust.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. 
 **Now here is where the option comes in.  You can either bake it for another 10-15 minutes until crust is golden brown or:
Mix:
1 cup baking mix (like Bisquick)
1/3 cup milk
Mix together until a dough forms. Knead until you have a soft dough. Remove the pie from the oven and
take off small pieces of dough and place on top of the filling.
Continue until the top is covered and all the dough is used.
Return to oven ans bake for 10-15 minutes or until the biscuits have turned light golden brown.
Either way it is delicious!!



Comments

  1. Lovin' the hash brown crust! Happy Friday Tiffanee:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. 'Til I get to TRY this myself, I imagine you're right.. Either way, it sure LOOKS delicious! Typically, I make my own crust, but in a pinch for time, I LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing your recipe, and have a great weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen anything like this! Definitely worth a try. I love all the ingredients, so the finished product must be good! Looks good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this potato basket. It is such a beautiful idea to change this classic dish to something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one I think the hubby would like. Definitely bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea. I love that this doesn't require a pastry crust. Personally, I think it would be even tastier your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have the most amazing recipes. This is another gotta-try-it recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is different. Sounds great. I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to change up a pot pie! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!