Crock Pot Root Beer Pulled Pork

I have shared with you our latest crave of pulled pork.  We prefer it baked but sometimes simplicity is what is needed. This is a simple and delicious recipe.  I love the BBQ sauce.  Adding the root beer adds a great flavor.

Crock Pot Root Beer Pulled Pork
adapted from Gooseberry Patch
2 cups onions sliced and divided
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
4  pound pork roast (loin is best)
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons liguid smoke (optional)
3 cups  Root Beer divided
16 oz bottle BBQ sauce ( or two cups)

Place 1 cup onions and the garlic it the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper, place in crock pot.  Add 1 1/2 cups root beer and liquid smoke. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours or on high setting for 5 hours.  Remove roast and set aside to cool. Discard onion and liquid in crock pot.  In a saucepan, bring the BBQ sauce and 1 1/2 cups root beer to a boil and then simmer for 15-25 minutes.  When roast is cool enough to handle, shred with a fork.  Discard fat.  Return shredded meat to the crock pot. Stir in sauce mixture and remaining onion. Cover and cook on high for 1-3 hours, until the onion is soft. 
*We were anxious to eat so added the onion to the sauce mixture, then combined it with the meat and ate!!
*We also added a little liquid smoke to the sauce mixture, for an added smoky flavor.
We took the leftover and froze them. It froze great and was a great easy meal for later!!

Comments

  1. What a neat idea to add root beer to this. I'm sure it made the pulled pork into something totally amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great Tiffanee! Yummy and easy-Happy Wednesday:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that the weather is getting better, this pork is perfect for an excersion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Root beer? Did you say root beer? That is amazing! I'll have to try this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that is delicious! Sounds like something my boys would love and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just popped in to say Hi Tiffanee! And, it looks like I'm just in time. Crock pot, pork and root beer. A meal after my own heart. It sounds deee...licious!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY :), this would be a hit with the boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious! I have had recipes with pop in them before and it is amazing how good they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pork lends it to so many flavor additions. I am loving the root beer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crockpot is my friend and I'm pretty fond of root beer. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds fantastic, I have a feeling this would be a winner in my house. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love making new sauces for pulled chicken or pork. I love the addition of the liquid smoke, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to try this one! And I so happen to have pork and root beer on hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this recipe! Root beer is the reason why I would never stop drinking soda forever. I loved using it in the crockpot with this recipe :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!