Fried Rice

I LOVE fried rice.  I love how versatile it is.  You can add what you want to it, season it how you want and we never have any leftovers at my house. My favorite meat to add is bacon or chopped ham. This time I tried out shrimp, because that is what I had and it need to be used.  My brother is the pro at Fried Rice. His favorite is hamburger.  He can just put things in and it turns out delicious every time.  He likes to serve it with some steamed cabbage.  This is my version taken from watching him make it!
 Fried Rice
4 cups uncooked rice
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
3/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup celery
4-6 fresh mushrooms, sliced (or 1 small can)
4 Tablespoons Teriyaki Sauce
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 pound ready to cook shrimp (or cooked bacon, hamburger, ham or other meats.)
1/2 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
optional: 3 Tablespoons butter
Cook rice according to directions.
Pour oil into a large skillet.  Add onions and garlic and saute for a couple minutes. Add carrots, celery and mushrooms and saute over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. 
Stir in the shrimp and saute for a couple minutes.
Add rice, peas, soy sauce and teriyaki.  Stir until heated through. * If desired add 2-3 Tablespoons butter and stir it in. 
Season to your tastes. 
I put the soy sauce and teriyaki sauce on the table and allowed everyone to season it to their tastes. I thought it was perfect just the way it was!
*I worked at a Chinese Restaurant and whenever us employees would eat the fried rice we would add just a bit of butter to it.  It adds a great flavor.  So it kind of become a acquired taste.

Comments

  1. I'm not a fan of shrimp, but this recipe looks great!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good hint about the butter. That looks delicious but I would have to eat it all by myself since hubby doesn't eat rice....lol..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about putting Teriyaki sauce in mine. Maybe that's what it has been missing! Great recipe!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so yummy but sadly no shrimp fans here. but darn it looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad I stopped by today! This looks delicious! I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son worked in a Chinese restaurant in high school and was always bringing rice home. At the time he was a runner and ate lots of rice....a good thing for the carbs. :) I always use one of those little mix packages when I make shrimp fried rice. I would love to try your brother's recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right fried rice is a very versatile dish. You can practically 'paint' on it. This one is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is a fried rice fan, I know he'd love this. Especially with butter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiffanee this looks absolutely amazing! I wish I had a giant bowl of it right now! Love the shrimp in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I included one of your recipes in my Ash Wednesday blogroll today. Thanks for being so awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, I love fried rice too, yours turned out really well :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a classic dish for Chinese. Whenever we have leftover rice, fried rice is the best. I love mine with curry, shrimp and pineapple. A good contrast of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My family LOVES!!! fried rice and shrimp is an added bonus, my hubby would LOVE!!! this. This is a must try in my book!!! I will make it one friday during Lent. THANKS!!! for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, last week was the first time I have ever made fried rice...and I used ham. We loved it so much we are going to have it again this week only with chicken and pineapple. I will have to try your recipe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My boys love fried rice but I've never mastered it. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!