Kim's Maryland Red Velvet Cake

So I have shared my new found love of Red Velvet well this one takes the "CAKE"!!(HAHA)  My friend Kim shared with me this old family recipe and it is to DIE FOR!! It was simple and oh so so delicious!  Moist and flavorful.  I think I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!  It is a TOTAL keeper!
Kim's Maryland Red Velvet Cake
1 stick butter softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter milk or (sour milk)
2 Tablespoon red food coloring (1 ounce bottle) red food coloring
2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Use a BIG bowl...there is a reason
Beat butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, beat till creamy.
In another bowl mix butter milk and food coloring
In another bowl mix flour, cocoa and salt DO NOT ADD BAKING SODA TO DRY MIXTURE
Then alternately add dry and butter milk / red coloring to bowl with butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
Here is why you use the bigger bowl now add in baking soda and vinegar, BOOM ! Expandage!
(first time I made this I had red cake mix all over) I didn't listen in biology 
Pour into a greased pan, instead of flour I use cocoa to "flour the pan"
Look at that beautiful color!!
Bake 350 for 30-35 or until the cake springs back at touch. 
 Allow to cool and frost.
Maryland Icing
1 stick butter
6 TBS Crisco and I use the white, the butter flavor takes away from the grandma taste
1 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 TBS flour

Mix on high for 12 min. This is where the magic happens.  In 12 minutes you have this fabulous fluffy frosting!   It is beautifully white.

But since it was my daughter's birthday she wanted it blue.
Then she helped me decorate it.
It was a fun and DELICIOUS cake!!
Thanks KIM!!


Comments