Zonkers

My daughter has been working on a science project comparing different brands of popcorn.  So needless to say we have an abundance of popcorn kernels in our house at the moment.  I will have to update you on her scientific findings!!  We were in need of a treat to go in lunches and I remember this amazing quick and easy recipe for Zonkers.  AKA... a type of white caramel popcorn.  Trust me it is DELICIOUS and ADDICTING. Best yet it takes only moments to make!!
Zonkers
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
large bowl of popped popcorn

Put all ingredient EXCEPT the baking soda in a large glass bowl.  Microwave for 3 minutes; stirring after each minute.  Remove and stir in the baking soda.  Put back in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring again after the each minute. *Large bowl is important because it will foam and expand after adding the soda. (Trust me on this one..I failed this time and it ended up all over my microwave!!) Pour over large bowl of popcorn and stir to coat!
There you go..treats in a flash!!
Enjoy!

Comments