Zuppa Toscana Soup

I love Olive Garden and especially this soup.  I was shocked at how easy it was to make and oh so delicious!!  The kids didn't even notice the kale which I thought added great flavor to the soup.   It was a hit and definitely curved the craving!!
Zuppa Toscana
Adapted  just a bit from Mom on Time Out
1 lb Italian Sausage (spicy if you prefer more heat)
5-7 slices of bacon
5 medium russet potatoes
2 cups kale, chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
8 cups chicken broth
1/2 large onion
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
Brown the sausage and break into small pieces.  Drain and set aside.  Cook your bacon and crumble into pieces.  Place on a paper towel to drain.  
Slice the potatoes about 1/4 inch thick.  Just try to get them as close to the same size so they cook evenly.  I then cut the slices in half or fourths to make the bite sized pieces.  Put the potatoes, onions, garlic and chicken broth into a large pot.  Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are cooked through.
Then add the sausage, bacon, kale and cream.  Simmer for about 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with some grated Parmesan cheese.
*This last time I doubled the recipe to take to a potluck.  After the potatoes were cooked I put it in a crockpot and then added the rest of the ingredients.  The next morning I cooked it on low for 3-4 hours.  I checked on it a few times and it must have been good because I did not bring any home.

I hear that it freezes well. 
Enjoy

Comments