Pita Flat Bread Chips

The other day I was cruising around Costco, trying out a few of their samples (Have you ever noticed things taste so much better when you are super hungry..Note to self: Don't go when you are hungry!!)  I tried a few pita chips.  They were simple and delicious.  So I immediately headed down the aisle in search of what was soon to be my gigantic box of pita chips.  As I put the box in my cart I turned and saw a package of pita bread on the shelf.   Looked at the price then back at the price of the box in my cart.. the bag of pita bread was less than half the cost of the box and it was a big bag of pitas!! So the thought crossed my mind (and I was on a budget) that I could probably create my own homemade version. I put the box back on the shelf and grabbed the bag.  The only issue, I bought flat bread instead of pitas so they were a thicker chip. They still ended up being a HUGE hit.  We ate them plain and with a couple different dips. The kids ate them straight from the oven.  They didn't even last 24 hours.  Next note: Buy 2 packages next time!


Pita Flat bread Chips
pita flat bread
olive oil
seasonings of your choice (I used salt, garlic salt and seasoning salt)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Pour some olive oil in a bowl, add they desired seasonings and mix well. (I started out with about 1/4 cup oil then made more as I needed it.) Brush the seasoned oil on each side of the bread.  Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 5 minutes.  Take out and turn each slice over. Return to oven and bake 4-5 minutes more or until golden brown.  Removed from oven and let cool.


If you want thinner more crispy chips use pita bread.  Divide each pocket into two pieces. Brush with the seasoned oil and bake a shorter amount of time, watching closely so they do not burn.
*The seasoning possibilities are endless!!
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. OH YUMMY! I so love them, I'd be afraid to make them and maybe not being able to stop :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you have to say!!